Zechariah’s Birth Day!

Guess who arrived today???   Our first grandson Zechariah Ranger, son of our daughter Erika and her husband Israel.  Erika had about 24 hours of labor and was a total trooper.  When that baby arrived, it was easy to understand why the whole process took a bit of time.  He weighed 9 lbs 4 ounces and was 21.5 inches long.  As you can see, he already has lots of sweet chubs.  It is just delightful to see his face and finally know what he looks like.

Unforgettable moments from the day:

~Seeing Erika bravely, unfalteringly walking her way through labor. She literally had to give up herself for the sake of that baby, as did her hubby to a smaller degree as for hours he rubbed her back and held her up and encouraged her on. It was a tiny, intense picture of the whole journey that is parenthood. Letting go, dying to self for the sake of your child. Every day of parenthood  involves sacrifice to a certain degree.  But never is that sacrifice more obvious, the miracle more deeply felt than on your baby’s birth-day.   A whole new person brought to earth by God through you.

~ Sitting behind Erika supporting her while she was pushing.  At one point I looked out at the folks around the room cheering her on:  two midwives, an apprentice, a doula, Erika’s hubby in position to help deliver his son, and my own momma who was going to be a great-grandma for the first time.  Since I was sitting behind Erika, I couldn’t see her progress myself.  Instead I read it in the faces of those gathered around us. Face after face after face glowed our way, all smiling, all joyful, all encouraging her in her work. The positive energy coming toward her in that space was incredible.  It was an incredible gift to experience it from that perspective.

~Looking at Erika sitting holding her baby in her arms, kissing him, dressing him, mothering him. “You have a baby!” I said.  And we both smiled like it was hard for either of us to fully believe it.  My beautiful daughter is now a beautiful mother.  What an amazing day. We have been very blessed indeed.

~~~

Erika and Israel’s Chilean Wedding

1. That’s SO amazing! Congrats!!!

2. Congratulations to you all and welcome to your new little man. What a blessing!

3. So amazing! What a great birth story! Congratulations to all of you!!

4. Amber Howard-McGinnis says:

Beautiful baby! Congratulations to you and your daughter!

5. What a beautiful, loving entrance into the world for him! Congratulations! I’m so happy for you that tears are falling : )

6. Sounds like you had an amazing day!

7. Heidi A. says:

He is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations to you both!

8. Congratulations and well done to Erika!

9. Congratulations to you and the proud parents! He is absolutely beautiful. I just want to scoop him up and kiss all those cute little chubby rolls. Enjoy every moment of him! What does your husband think of being a grandfather for the first time?

10. Ohhhhhh! I love it! Sounds like it was a beautiful birth! I love to hear about mOmmas being surrounded in a circle of loving support like that!

11. Krystal Griffin says:

Oh, Mary!!! So excieted for you!!! I’m so glad you included those little bits from the day. What sweetmemories to share with your readers.=)

12. What a precious day and precious memories!

13. welcome Zechariah – God chose a wonderful family for you. Thank you for sharing with us – he is a handsome little man!

14. How incredibly beautiful! Congratulations to you and your daughter–and your entire family! That is a big baby for a first. Thanks for sharing such lovely images and memories with us.

15. Kristin says:

Congratulations! What a beautiful baby!

16. shannon says:

Congrats; he’s precious.

17. Congratulations! I loved the glimpse into the room that you gave us! Thank you!! It made me remember my long labors with my husband and doula and reflect on the three little miracles that I have! May God bless this child as you shower him with lots of love and kisses all over his little sweet chubs!

18. Concratulation to you all … and happy birthday Zechariah!

19. Congratulations! What a special day for everyone.

20. Awwww … absolutely amazing! Precious baby boy. <3

21. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I love the name.

22. I’m SO happy for you!

23. He is beautiful! (And I believe boy babies can be beautiful! 🙂 Congratulations!

24. How beautiful and precious! 24 hours… ugh. So thankful mine was mercifully quick. Congratulations to the entire family. Does the name have particular meaning, or just one they liked the sound of?

25. congratulations!

26. That is wonderful – Congratulations!

27. Thank you for your lovely way of expressing what too many miss, that laying down your life in labor is just a beautiful expression of the rest of the parenting journey. Congrats on your entry into Mothering a Mother, she is so blessed at this moment to have such wise counsel. I will pray for her and those who are hers, as I know that these weeks can stretch out long. What a gift it is to share this happy moment. Blessings today.

28. Melanie says:

Congratulations! He’s beautiful!

29. Well, I’m in tears. What a precious moment. Congratulations to you all!

30. Tears.

31. Praise God from whom All Blessisngs Flow!

32. grangramma says:

Oh Mary, he is so beautiful. I remember so well the birth of my first grandchild, Jen’s baby Ethan. I now have nine and they are all so precious.

33. Congratulations, Grandma!

34. Congratulations to all of you! I got teary when you said, “You have a baby!” That was just beautiful, your recognition of your daughter’s transition to motherhood.

Blessings,
    Sandwich

35. And all your beautiful children are now aunties and uncles!!! Congratulations!!

36. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Congratulations

37. Congratulations! What a gorgeous little guy!

38. Oh, congratulations! What a lovely guy he is, and quite chubby. He was not a small guy!
    Congratulations to your daughter! Many Years

39. I’ve been waiting for this news, knowing that it should happen soon. Praying as you all settle into your new roles. Happy Birthday Zechariah!

40. What a beautiful baby! Most newborns truly aren’t beautiful (unless your the parents, of course), but he knocks that theory off the map. I’d love to see a photo of him and mama. Congratulations and blessings to all.

41. Kristina says:

Congrats to everyone from Great Grandma to Grandma to Mom and Dad! March 8th 13 years ago I became a mother for the first time!!! congrats again!!

42. Congratulations! And what a beautiful reflection on the birth of your grandson.

43. Do please pass on the congratulations to the new family. Such sweetness in your words….I love that.

44. Oh, congratulations!!! How wonderful that you could be there with her!

45. BethAnn says:

Breathtakingly beautiful and precious…congratulations!!

46. He is huge! So cute already! What a darling! Congrats to all of you, esp Erika and Israel.

47. Congratulations! He is truly beautiful!

48. Oh, this made my nose and eyes burn and a big lump swell in my throat. What a beautiful picture. So happy for you and your family.

49. Congratulations Mary. I’m so happy for you to be able to extend all your sweet feelings about motherhood to another generation.

50. Congratulations! What a gorgeous boy!