Oh, I’ve had a busy week! This weekend Jared graduates from college (computer science major), and next weekend Lidya graduates from high school. So we’re planning a party for both of them along with some friends who are also graduating. We’re also finishing our school year and trying to get in the groove of a summer schedule. The teens are complaining bitterly about having to get up at 10 during the week. Nevermind that it’s 3 hours later than during the school year, and that they can sleep later on Saturdays. Sigh.
So. frugality. This week was far from a roaring success. In fact, I think I have more fails than successes to report. I find that the busier I am, the less success I have at saving money.
- We packed lunches to eat in the park with our homeschool group, but then stopped for chocolate shakes to augment the picnic.
- I bought cheese and meat for the party trays this weekend at the lowest prices I could find, and I’m putting together the trays myself, so that will save on party costs. But when the kids and I were decorating at church over lunch, we got hungry and grabbed Panda Express.
- We resisted the urge to install the swamp cooler in the living room even though it was warm this week, but soon we will need to break down and do it. It is warm!
- We are scraping up the last of the hay on the floor of the hay barn to feed the cows, to help give our pastures more time to grow up. (We have three different pastures that we rotate the cows through, but this year we are feeding 2 full-grown cows, so the 1.5 acres of grass is going down quick.) Thankfully there’s been a lot of rain so the pastures are growing pretty well.
- John turned a small patch of grass alongside our garage into more pasture, which gave them a few more days of eating, and a 4th pasture to rotate through. But the fence for that project was $80.
- I did some shopping at Cash ‘n Carry which I don’t always take the time to do. But they have some decent prices, including hamburger for $2.39/lb (in 10 lb rolls) which is about as good as I’ve seen lately.
What about you? How did your week go?