This time of year in the grocery store I’m often tempted by eggnog, but it’s so darned expensive! Here’s a super-easy way to make your own, using vanilla pudding instead of raw eggs.
- 1 3-ounce package instant French vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 gallon milk (2% or whole is best)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whisk together puddling mix and about 1 cup of milk.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- When the puddling is blended and dissolved, add sugar, vanilla, and spices to the pudding/milk mixture.
- Pour into a 2-quart pitcher, add remaining milk, and stir well.
- Let chill overnight, or at least one hour. Just before serving, stir again to recombine spices.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream if you wish.