Adapted from a recipe by Strawberry Creek Inn B&B
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup toasted chopped walnuts (or slivered almonds)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Creme de Banana (optional, I didn't use it)
- 3-4 overripe bananas
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix together flour, baking soda, salt and toasted nuts.
- In another bowl combine butter, eggs, almond extract and Creme de Banana (if using).
- Add banana and sugar and mash with a potato masher til incorporated and fairly smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix til just combined. Do not overmix.
- Grease a standard 12-cup muffin tin. Fill each muffin hole with batter almost to the top.
- Sprinkle each muffin with a bit of granulated sugar, if desired. (This makes a sweet crunchy coating on top of the muffins.)
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each muffin comes out ALMOST clean.
- Let cool just a little and remove muffins from tin, carefully turning muffins on their sides to cool to prevent sogginess on the bottom.
Go here to see dozens more easy and affordable recipes