For the graduation party last month we did lots of little desserts in mason jars. Here’s my absolute favorite cake recipe from the party, from the soon-to-be-released cookbook Desserts in Jars: 50 Sweet Treats that Shine. Bonus: it’s gluten free!
This lovely gluten free cake recipe is from the cookbook Desserts in Jars: 50 Sweet Treats That Shine by Shaina Olmanson
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the jars
- 7 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- confectionersâ€™ sugar, for dusting optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter insides of 12 small mason jars. Over a double broiler, melt chocolate and butter together. Set aside. Let cool until it is cool enough to touch without burning you, 15 minutes or so.
- Beat egg whites till stiff peaks form. Set aside. In an stand mixer combine sugar and egg yolks and beat til thick and creamy. Add 1/4 cup of warm chocolate to egg yolk mixture. Continue to mix, slowly adding rest of warm chocolate mixture until all is incorporated.
- Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture. Divide batter among the 12 jars, about 1/4 cup per jar. Place 2 inches apart on large baking sheet. Bake 25-30 minutes,until tops of the cakes begin to crack. Remove from oven and let cool, dusting with powdered sugar once cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.