Coconut milk and cinnamon add an exotic flavor to this creamy potato soup. Grating some of the potatoes helps to thicken the soup. Substitute olive oil for the butter if you need a cream soup that is completely dairy free.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 8 medium potatoes (2 grated and 6 cubed)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 can Coconut milk (14-16 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1. Peel and grate 2 of the potatoes. Mince onion and garlic.
2. Melt butter in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add grated potato, minced onion, and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Peel and cube remaining 6 potatoes and set aside.
4. Add chicken broth to the pot with the onions and garlic. Heat until simmering.
5. Add cubed potatoes, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and cinnamon, and bring to a boil.
6. Turn heat down and continue to cook over medium low heat until potatoes are soft, about 15-20 minutes.
7. Add coconut milk and cook for a couple more minutes. Salt to taste. Serve with fresh bread.